New River Community Action’s Emergency Assistance Program

New River Community Action (NRCA) Emergency Assistance Program (EAP) offers a variety of temporary assistance for residents or transients who are 200% poverty income or below who are experiencing financial crises.  Some examples of crises that low-income people frequently face are: high utility bills, decrease in income, disabilities and chronic health issues, significant amount of medical debt, housing costs greater than 50 percent of income, or homelessness. NRCA EAP provides assistance with food, rent, mortgage, utility, heating fuel, medical, and gasoline to get to doctor or employment.

Designed to provide temporary rental assistance, utilities, food, household products, etc. for individuals and families residing in New River Valley and transients who are experiencing a financial crisis who meet the guidelines.

To receive Emergency Assistance, applicants for services must be experiencing a crisis beyond their control. Assistance is provided on a first come first serve basis after all documentation has been received.

Required documentation includes:

  • Photo identification card,
  • Social Security numbers for all household members,
  • Proof of crisis (bills, etc.),
  • Proof of income ((pay stubs for the last 4 week period, statement from employer, or income tax statements),
  • Additional documents may be required depending upon the situation.

A direct deposit bank statement is not acceptable proof of income. The entire household’s income is considered for eligibility and must not total more than 200% of federal poverty income guidelines.

To receive assistance the household must have exhausted their own personal resources and accessed other forms of assistance, such as the Department of Social Services Heating Assistance or Crisis Program, etc. when available.

New River Community Action partners with the Montgomery County Emergency Assistance Program (MCEAP) and the Pulaski County Emergency Needs Task Force (PCENTF) to administer the Emergency Assistance Program. Assistance services provided in Montgomery and Pulaski counties are determined by MCEAP and PCENTF policies and could differ from the guidelines described below.

For rent or mortgage payments, a partial payment may be made and the household may be required to pay the remainder of the payment. If the household is unable to pay a portion of the bill, the landlord must sign a paper stating they are willing to accept a partial payment; the assistance must allow the household to remain on the property for at least an additional 30 days.

Utility assistance requires a termination notice or must be disconnected. For heating fuel assistance, the household’s fuel tank must be out of heating fuel or approximately 10% remaining.

Assistance with prescriptions and dental is considered on a case-by-case basis. Referrals for hearing aids or glasses are made to the Lion’s Club.

People needing transportation for medical access are referred to Med-Ride before approving for gasoline payment. Gasoline payments are limited to doctor’s appointments, homeless shelter, job interviews or before first payroll check is received. The client must have verification of hire date, interview, or doctor’s appointment.

For people who are homeless, referrals are made to the New River Family Shelter, To Our House, or Women’s Resource Center and others as appropriate. Transportation to the shelters may be considered if available.

Households may receive food monthly from the NRCA food pantry. A clothing voucher to local thrift store may be provided; extra consideration may be given for special situations.

NRCA partners with numerous human services organizations, referrals are received from and made to other organizations as appropriate.

Donations from the community are used for direct services, while federal and state Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) plus local government funds to NRCA are used for office space, staff and related expenses.

Contact the office in your county or city below for more information.

Floyd County 

323 Floyd Highway South
PO Box 849
Floyd, VA  24091

(540) 745-2102

Giles County

1410-B Wenonah Avenue
Pearisburg, VA  24134

(540) 921-2146

Montgomery County

110 Roanoke Street
Christiansburg, VA 24073

(540) 382-6186

Pulaski County

 412 North Jefferson Ave
Pulaski, VA  24301

(540) 980-5525

Radford City

928 West Main St.
Radford, VA 24141

(540) 267-3205